Saturday 12 September 2015

Swapping out the handlebars


Decided to swap the handlebars back to the original higher bars.
Although I like the look of the lower "Full Throttle" Scrambler bars they seem to be playing havoc with my neck .
I need to sit upright more as I have issues with my neck , after a few hours riding it aches to the point of annoyance!

Not a problem to do, it took longer to figure out how to remove the plug on the back of the Speedo !
However, I now see why the factory standard bars are positioned so far back towards the rider, that the bars look "odd" I prefer bars to be just forward or in line with the forks. 

Because of the holes used to line up the switch gear the levers end up nearly at 45 deg. So if you want the levers to appear level the bars need to be towards you.Looks like a lawn mower imo!
So they are fitted with a little thought as to keep them in the position I want.
Probably about an hours work in reality but took a couple of hours faffing about and realigning and tinkering !

You can see the position of the orginal handlebars prior to the FT bars being fitted before I collected the bike

I have put them back in-line with the forks


A short ride of about 20 miles felt OK and the more upright position felt more comfortable, I wonder if it was the years of riding a Harley with 18" ape hangers or at the very least bars that set my hands at shoulder height is why this feels more natural to me and I felt more confident throwing the bike into corners!

No comments:

Post a Comment