Monday 14 September 2015

Fitting Gel Pads to OEM Seats


Today I decided to take the plunge and fit the gel pads that I had ordered.

2 x Gel Pads £55.00
1 x Sheet of 3mm foam £5
1 x can of Upholstery spray £5

£65 all in

First was to remove the main cover used a small screw driver to remove the staples I found that angling the screwdriver as picture made it easy to remove the staples



Then I find that Ducati has covered the foam with cling film! there is only one type of foam density which would account for its lack of comfort. No expense spared ........not!


So to lay out the pads and mark the foam the easy part! Having got it all central and marked out then it was time to cut away the foam so the gel pads would fit snugly into the seat. Watched a few YouTube videos and choose from them on how I would proceed.


I drew lines along the length and then across on the small pad as per what I had seen on YouTube.




Your then left with cutting away the squares I do not have an electric knife so used Stanley knife set to just under the thickness of the gel pad which made it easier for my first attempt. Then it was just a case of carefully cutting away the foam, trail fitting each pad until I had got it right.


Getting ready to cut the rear passenger pad, you'll see I will be mounting it back to front, which gives a better coverage of the whole of the rear part of the seat. Both pads just curve over the sides, the videos that I watched set them in the middle but the guy I got the pads from does it for a living and says he never cuts the pads (many people say do it) and just curves them over the side. Having now done this I can see the sense, just a little more comfort !!!

The finished article! I'm happy with the look doesn't show the anywhere. The only problem I came up against was my staple gun was barely up to the job. But got there in the end not over pretty but its the underside of seat and as long as it all holds I'm happy!



No comments:

Post a Comment