Monday 10 August 2015

Daytripper 2





09/08/2015

On a whim went for a ride along an old road I know between Alton and Basingstoke via Lasham. I was a little surprised as I rode further down the roads more and more "Biker Think" posters were on a lot of lamp posts and telegraph poles. Along with surreptitiously placed police speed trap vans! Obviously the road has become more popular since my last visit a few years ago. Along with most of the way daubed with double white lines (no overtaking if your reading this somewhere other than England!)
Still it was a sunny day and no real hurry to get to my destination and the roads are still fun at legal speeds!
On arrival in Basingstoke I decided to go to Hartley Wintney the birth place of my father and my childhood haunt as a lad until I was around 9 yrs old when my fathers mother died. Its surprising that when your that young a village cricket green and surrounding houses seemed enormous, but know it was small and quaint!
Still I parked up took a few photos for the family archive and watch a cricket match whilst eating my way through a double 99 cone!

The Scrambler:
Coped well with the twisty roads as expected.
No problem with tightening bends.
A few false neutrals 6 to 5th gear and one or two 3-2nd I still am inclined to believe it was rider error not really paying proper attention and the newness of the bike.

Not so well coped!
The seat is horrible, uncomfortable to extreme (I've ridden hard tailed chops with solid seats that were more comfortable)
I would go to the point of saying it was the only thing that ruined the day and I was grateful to get home.
Ok I did best part of a 100 miles on the day before and 96 today but 200 miles over two days is not good enough! I am convinced I will be adding gel pads to mine and the pillion seat this winter!
The suspension not that much of a problem and as yet have not tried two up riding. I know its built to a price, but adding the new fangled (to me) cassette dampers (?) to only one fork is just pure penny pinching! An after market company can sort that by adding a matching cassette to the other fork for a couple of hundred pounds fitted seems like a good idea to me. The back, its got suspension my last bike didn't so win win lol. although maybe that will get upgraded as well later on.

plus point
Having to stick to speed to limits gave me 56 mpg!




No comments:

Post a Comment